Mid September thru to early April
- 2 Sessions Weekly -Saturday & Sunday
- Hockey Canada Certified Coaches
- Hockey Jersey and Hockey Socks Provided
- Hockey Canada Insurance
- Year End Banquet with Awards and Pictures
Registration Fee for this Program is: TBD
Early Bird Registration discount Fee is available until TBD
ABOUT HOCKEY CANADA’S INITIATION PROGRAM (IP)
The Initiation Program is a progressive, learn to play teaching curriculum. Children learn through participating in practice drills and informal and modified games (such as shinny, freeze tag, and obstacle courses).
The skills of skating, puck control, passing and shooting are introduced and refined in a progressive one step at a time manner.
Although the emphasis is on fun and fundamental skill development, the Initiation Program also allows the youngers to experience fitness, fair play, and cooperation.
To ensure a positive experience for the children, a 4-hour instructional clinic has been designed for the ice instructors (coaches), that focuses on communication, teaching skills, leadership, skill analysis, lesson organization and safety and risk management.
The Initiation Program is Canada’s premier “LEARN TO PLAY” program for beginning hockey players.
The Canadian Hockey Association developed the program to ensure that the child’s first contact with hockey is a safe and positive experience.
It enables participants to become contributing members of a team effort, develop self-confidence, and experience a sense of personal achievement.
The goals, philosophy and objectives of the program are:
1. Teaching basic hockey skills so players can enjoy the game.
2. Assisting in development and enhancement of basic motor patterns.
3. Developing and encouraging the concept of team, through player participation in on and off-ice activities.
4. To implement fitness, fair play and co-operation aspects within the fun of the game.
The focus is on fundamental skills. Those include forehand and backhand passing, forward and backward cross-overs, a forehand sweeping shot and wrist shot, toe drags and four different stopping variations. FUN competitions are also introduced in a team environment.
1st Time Hockey Parents are required to complete the Respect in Sports Program. Please follow link and complete program AFTER you have completed Registration
Respect in Sports -Parent Program